Create Course Session 3 Blog
This week was all about the link between creativity and play. We did lots of both.
A personal favourite of mine was drawing a picture of your partner while NOT looking at the paper, in just 3 minutes. The results were surprisingly good!
And we had a race to see which team could invent the best costume from tin foil.
Today’s video was a TED talk about the importance of playing and playful environments in the creative process.
Afterwards we came up with this list of ‘rules’ for creativity:
- Go for quantity of new ideas so you don’t edit yourself (grown ups have a tendency to self-edit new ideas so their creativity is limited)
- Create a playful environment where people trust each other
- Just do it – either role play the idea or try it out for real and see what you learn (this is what we’re doing with this pilot course on creativity)
- Let go of other people’s perceptions
- Create rules to make the play safe – having a smaller frame to play in is actually liberating creatively
- Think with your hands and use materials that you have around you – make things, use pre-school craft materials if possible
And finally we started planning what creative projects we might want to develop through this course. More of that next week….